Thursday, June 14, 2012 19:30 -
As Chalfont firefighters were pre-paring for their monthly business meeting, Bucks County Radio dispatched Tactical Box 34-09 at 1930 hours for a Hazardous Materials incident on the 500 block of Mallard Drive. Chief 34 and Deputy 34 responded and were advised that a chlorine gas cloud was formed by a resident during the mixing of pool chemicals. Rescue 34(Lt. Bair), Engine 34(Lt. Marino) and Ladder 74(Lt. Dando) also responded. Upon arrival, the Department found a 5-gallon bucket of chemicals poolside surrounded by dead grass. After looking at the packaging for the chemicals, it was decided to place the bucket into the pool water to dilute the chemicals and to spray down the area with copious amounts of water.
Mixing of chemicals, even pool and and household, can create dangerous and lethal atmospheres in very little time. Always follow the directions for use on chemical packaging.